“And there’s such a wealth of amazing stories in the people who were and are still living in those environments. What these small museums contribute to looking after Tasmania’s cultural heritage is amazing. It’s so often understated, but the sheer diversity of these collections, mostly cared for by passionate volunteers, [makes them] a real trove of treasures.”
quote from Melissa Smith for The Mercury
Arts Tasmania’s Roving Curators in conjunction with Museums Australia (Tasmania) invite you to a hear some of these amazing stories at the floor talk about the current
Wednesday, 1 June 2016 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
146 ArtSpace, 146 Elizabeth Street Hobart
RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org or call 6165 6666
The exhibition curators Veronica Macno and Melissa Smith will provide an insight into the development of the exhibition and will be joined by delegates from several of the small museums represented in the exhibition who will talk in more detail about their museum’s collections and their specific object on display.
|Image from the article in The Mercury (a great read about the exhibition and Roving Curator Program) http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/tasweekend-treasure-hunters/news-story/67adab1a6d600f3c4ab873a44e24a6df|
Veronica Macno and Melissa Smith, Arts Tasmania
Raymond Arnold, Eric Thomas Galley Museum
Phyl Norton, Channel Heritage Centre
Andrea Gerrard, Scots-Memorial Museum & Heritage
Margaret Mason-Cox, Hutchins Archive & Heritage Collection
About these small museums
The Eric Thomas Galley Museum (also known as the Galley Museum) is a photographic and general museum in Driffield Street in Queenstown. As a repository of the historical photographs and materials from the history of Queenstown it contains collections that hold in some cases the last vestiges of the former mines and localities on the west coast. The collection of photographs and text and materials relating to the 1912 North Mount Lyell Mining disaster is extensive. Considerable parts of the photograph collection were photographs collected by and also processed by Eric Thomas.
The Channel Heritage Centre promotes the culture and heritage of the D’Entrecasteaux Channel towns of Margate, Snug, Kettering, Woodbridge, Middleton and Gordon and settlements in the immediate hinterland. The pioneers of this area were the whaler, the timber cutter, the shingle splitter, the bullock driver, the pit sawyer, the early sailing ship and river craft men. Later came the road builders, farmers, orchardists and the scallop and cray fishermen and the migrants. The Channel Heritage Centre is also home to the Don Norton Camera Museum, an astonishing collection of over 600 cameras plus photographic accessories.
The Scots-Memorial Heritage Collection conserves and interprets a collection of documents, artworks, books, objects, photographs, and ephemera relating to the Congregational Union and the Presbyterian Church in Hobart from the 1820s.
The Hutchins Archives and Heritage Collection comprises photographs and audio-visual records, documents, maps and plans, books, magazines and other publications, trophies and honour boards, uniforms and textiles, coins, medals and badges, artworks, furniture, memorabilia and ephemera from the school, some of which pre-dates foundation in 1846, up to the present day.